If you love your local pub and want to protect it from demolition or change of use, make sure to list it with your local Council as an Asset of Community Value (ACV). You can nominate as a CAMRA Branch, as an informal group of 21 local people or as a Parish Council.
Please note that our Branch area is covered by both Cheltenham (CBC) and Tewkesbury (TBC) Borough Councils.
We are working with local community groups to facilitate listing Cheltenham Pubs as Assets of Community Value. Below lists out the current status in the branch. Unless otherwise stated, the listing has been instigated by Cheltenham CAMRA. If you wish engage us to help list your local please email our pubs officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Any updates to this list will be annotated with a (*) and described at the bottom of the page.
|The Adam and Eve, Townsend Street||Approved 24 March 2016|
|The Beaufort Arms, London Road||Approved 24 March 2016 (1) (3) (7) (9)|
|The Bell, Shurdington||ACV submitted to TBC|
|The Cheese Rollers, Shurdington||ACV submitted to TBC|
|The Maple Leaf, Hewlett Road (2) (6)||Approved 24 March 2016|
|The Kemble, Fairview Street||Approved 27 July 2015|
|The Kings Arms, Gloucester Road||Approved 27 July 2015|
|The National Hunt, Benhall Avenue||Approved 24 March 2016|
|The Old Restoration, High Street||Approved 24 March 2016 (4)|
|The Royal Union, Hatherley Street||Approved 24 March 2016|
|The Plough, Prestbury||Approved 24 March 2016|
|The Ryeworth, Charlton Kings||Removed June 2016 (5)|
|The Russell Arms, Hales Road||ACV submitted to CBC|
|St Pauls Tavern, St Pauls Road||Approved 14 April 2016|
|The Shutters, Gotherington||ACV submitted to TBC|
|The Somerset Arms, Moorend Street||Approved 24 March 2016|
|The Swallow, Bishops Cleeve||ACV submitted to TBC|
|The Umbrella, Orchard Way||Approved 24 March 2016|
|The Wheatsheaf, Old Bath Road||Approved 24 March 2016|
(1) Update (April 16). Owners Wadworths have issued an “Intention to Dispose” notice on The Beaufort Arms.
(2) Pub listing by Fairview Community Association (FCA).
(3) Update (July 16) . The pub has been bought and is now trading again.
(4) Update (July 16) . The owners have issued an “Intention to Dispose” notice on The Old Restoration
(5) Update (July 16) . The ACV listing was removed after no community group expressed an interest in purchasing it within 6 months of the ITD notice.
(6) Update (December 16) . The FCA did not object to the planning proposal which will see the building converted to a retail space (for community usage) and 7 flats.
(7) Update (February 2017) . The ‘freehold’ of the pub has been re-advertised for sale.
(8) Update (Autumn 2017). A planning application to convert the pub into flats was granted in late 2017.
(9) Update (January 2018). A planning application for conversion of part of the pub into flats was approved. At the time of writing, the pub is still empty and it is likely the developer will say its unviable and request to convert that too.